Sunday, February 15, 2015

Liliane's Playlist (Part 3 of Many..)

A friendship-themed version of Liliane's playlist...
(Will be trying to get translations of song lyrics up in the near future)

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

となりのトトロ  (Tonari no Totoro) - My Neighbor Totoro

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Count On Me - Bruno Mars

(I remember being first introduced to this song by my friend Ashley while I was in Malaysia. Not sure when Liliane first heard this song, but I know she definitely heard me singing it around the house/apartment every now and then...)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

七個朋友片尾曲 摩天輪 - 任容萱 (Seven Friends OST Ferris Wheel, Kirsten Ren)


(The lyrics aren't directly about friendship but given the title of the drama series, I figured we can include it on this list...)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

范瑋琪 - 一個像夏天一個像秋天 (Christine Fan - One is like Summer, One is like Fall)

(One of the Chinese songs that frequently gets stuck in my head when I think of my sister... both Liliane & I really love this song)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In wanting to make sure I include a classical piece on this playlist, I did some research to see how the subject of friendship has been represented in classical music. Through this research, I came to learn more about Franz Schubert and the intimate circle of friends he enjoyed throughout his life. (As a sign of true friendship, he was given the affectionate nickname "Schwämmerl", which apparently translates to "Tubby" or "Little Mushroom.")

1868 drawing of a Schubertiade by Moritz von Schwind - (famous Austrian painter and friend of Schubert)

The following pieces are ones Schubert composed in honor of his friend, poet Johann Senn, who he never got to see again after 1820 for political reasons. Schubert took the words from Senn's poem, Schwanengesang (Swan Song) & Selige Welt (Happy World) and set it to music. (FYI: This Swan Song is not to be confused with the song cycle of the same name, Schwanengesang D957, which are believed to be some of Schubert's last compositions...) Although my guess would be that Liliane never heard these pieces before, I think she would have appreciated the story behind them...

Schwanengesang (Swan Song) D744
(The translation of these lyrics can be found here: Swan Song by Johann Senn.) 

Selige Welt (Happy World) D743
(Original poem & translation can be found here: Happy World by Johann Senn)

And in one of those life is stranger than fiction moments, here's a picture of the stuffed animal Liliane affectionately nicknamed Schubert - (the only stuffed animal I'm aware of that she named after a composer, although we did name one of our parakeets Puccini.)


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I've deliberately held out on not posting videos from the Voice yet (for reasons which should be become clear in a week or so) but this "friendship playlist" simply wouldn't be complete if I didn't include this song...

Lean On Me
(Will explain the significance of this particular version of an all-time classic next week...)

No comments:

Post a Comment